14 December 2008

Jinxed

I woke up this morning at 6 AM and when I looked out of the window the rain had already started to pour down. Now it is almost 12 and it is still raining outside. No way to enjoy the Tokyo Enduro Race today at Tachikawa Kinen Koen, so I informed Tom, David and Ludwig per e-mail this morning that I would not go and all agreed to go back to bed or do other more meaningful things. This is the third time I wanted to attend the race and the third time I couldn't. I became sick some days before the race in 2005 and in 2007 I applied to late and missed the deadline. This race is jinxed. The location is actually the one where I saw the first cycle race of my life ever, in September1990 a German friend of mine was racing there.

What a bummer that was! Still, when I look at the TCC picture below, I don't regret the decision to go back to bed. For me too, there has been a jinx on enduro-type races and this would have been the third one in a row after Shuzenji and Motegi last year. It is simply no fun to ride with muddy water spurting right into your face from the backwheels of riders ahead. I admire those TCC cyclists though who decided to brave the elements!

Tom


No comments: